Thursday, September 15, 2011

One Act

“…DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE SPAWNED, SIR? She is a spider. She is a diabolically devious as Medusa. Her capacity for compassion extends only as far as her immediate periphery. She uses her charm in the same way the Borgias used poison. Her wit is an epic in trivia. She conforms to civilized conduct with all the morality of a traffic light. Her empathy is as deep rooted as her mirror. The lip service she pays to the social amenities has all the sincerities of a Hindu kissing the Pope’s ring. She is a pot of poisoned honey…”

from the play "Integrity" by John Patrick.

I silently performed this at my desk. I would suffice in doing that for the rest of my life.

I'm in an Advanced Drama class this semester. I am assigned to pick out a one act play, cast and direct it. I have never directed before, so I am looking forward to something new. I picked a show written by the same man who wrote the monologue above called "Fettuccine". It's a fast paced argument of a play between a husband and wife over the welfare of their only son. I have been blessed to have made friends in the "drama scene" here at Moody and I already have three pristine actors in mind. Hopefully I'll be able to successfully direct them while at the same time have them direct themselves. If I were a wagering man, I would bet that this is going to be a great semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment